The Open UniversitySkip to content

Stepwise estimation of common principal components

Trendafilov, Nickolay (2010). Stepwise estimation of common principal components. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 54(12) pp. 3446–3457.

Full text available as:
Full text not publicly available (Version of Record)
Due to publisher licensing restrictions, this file is not available for public download
DOI (Digital Object Identifier) Link:
Google Scholar: Look up in Google Scholar


The standard common principal components (CPCs) may not always be useful for simultaneous dimensionality reduction in k groups. Moreover, the original FG algorithm finds the CPCs in arbitrary order, which does not reflect their importance with respect to the explained variance. A possible alternative is to find an approximate common subspace for all k groups. A new stepwise estimation procedure for obtaining CPCs is proposed, which imitates standard PCA. The stepwise CPCs facilitate simultaneous dimensionality reduction, as their variances are decreasing at least approximately in all k groups. Thus, they can be a better alternative for dimensionality reduction than the standard CPCs. The stepwise CPCs are found sequentially by a very simple algorithm, based on the well-known power method for a single covariance/correlation matrix. Numerical illustrations on well-known data are considered.

Item Type: Journal Item
Copyright Holders: 2010 Elsevier B.V.
ISSN: 1872-7352
Keywords: simultaneous diagonalization; dimensionality reduction; power iterations for k symmetric positive definite matrices
Academic Unit/School: Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) > Mathematics and Statistics
Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
Item ID: 49279
Depositing User: Nickolay Trendafilov
Date Deposited: 28 Apr 2017 12:56
Last Modified: 07 Dec 2018 11:52
Share this page:


Altmetrics from Altmetric

Citations from Dimensions

Actions (login may be required)

Policies | Disclaimer

© The Open University   contact the OU