Candlin, Christopher N.
|Google Scholar:||Look up in Google Scholar|
About the book: Task-based learning in teaching is where an activity has been designed to help achieve a particular learning goal. This volume brings together a series of studies by different researchers on the impact of tasks in second language teaching, testing and development. It reviews a number of issues which include recent research into task-based learning: the effect of tasks on speaking, listening and oral interaction, the role of the teacher in exploiting tasks and the nature of the task based curriculum.
1. Introduction - Martin Bygate, Peter Skehan and Merrill Swain.
PART 1: TASKS AND LANGUAGE PROCESSING
2. Effects of task repetition on the structure and control of oral language - Martin Bygate
3. Non-reciprocal tasks, comprehension and second language acquisition - Rod Ellis
4. Rules and routines: A consideration of their role in the task-based language production of native and non-native speakers - Pauline Foster.
PART 2: STUDIES OF TASKS IN LANGUAGE CLASSROOMS
5. Focus on form through collaborative dialogue: Exploring task effects - Merrill Swain and Sharon Lapkin
6. Guiding relationships between form and meaning during task performance: The role of the teacher - Virginia Samuda.
7. 'A case of exercising': Effects of immediate task repetition on learners performance - Tony Lynch and Joan Maclean.
PART 3: TASK-BASED APPROACHES TO TESTING
8. Tasks and language performance assessment- Peter Skehan 9. Influences on performance in task-based oral assessments - Gillian Wigglesworth
10. Task-based assessments: Charactersitics and validity evidence - Micheline Chalhoub-Deville.
Afterword: Taking the Curriculum to Task - Christopher N. Candlin.
Looks at the impact of tasks on second language processing, speaking, listening and oral interaction.
Presents a broad range of approaches to task-based teaching, learning and testing.
Includes a review of recent research into task-based learning.
|Item Type:||Book Chapter|
|Academic Unit/Department:||Education and Language Studies > Centre for Language and Communication|
|Interdisciplinary Research Centre:||Centre for Research in Education and Educational Technology (CREET)|
|Depositing User:||Users 12 not found.|
|Date Deposited:||25 May 2006|
|Last Modified:||02 Dec 2010 19:44|
|Share this page:|