Bradshaw, Pete; Cameron, Karen and Younie, Sarah
A case study examination of the BBC News School Report project in Initial Teacher Education across three sites for the Training and Development Agency for Schools (TDA) 2011.
Full text available as:
- This is the third year in which ITTE have reported on ITT trainee involvement in the BBC News School Report project (BBC NSRP) and on its impact on their training.
- The previous two reports have been an evaluation based on data collected at TDA-hosted meetings. This report takes a case study approach with questionnaire interviews conducted in schools.
- The case study approach provided access to staff who would not otherwise have attended evaluation days and, hence, gave a more rounded picture of the impact on training.
- Involvement in the project developed trainees’ understandings of their own subject knowledge, of cross-curricular ways of working, of project working and of working in non-timetabled informal sessions with pupils.
- The project allows for trainees to develop different, and more rounded, relationships with pupils. This has a positive impact on their teaching, particularly in respect of behaviour management.
- The project enhances trainees’ professional identity in their own eyes, in the eyes of the department in which they are working and, in some cases, in the eyes of the wider school staff and leadership.
- There are a number of different models for involvement ranging from trainees assisting other staff to trainees leading the project autonomously. The assistant model had not been one that had been seen in previous evaluations.
- Project involvement, or leadership, continues to contribute directly to evidence of meeting QTS Standards, especially those around Professional Attributes.
- Project involvement, or leadership, also continues to be seen as important in career development and applications for NQT posts.
- The project provides authentic learning contexts both in-school and with the wider community.
||2011 The Authors
|Project Funding Details:
|Funded Project Name||Project ID||Funding Body|
|Not Set||Not Set||TDA|
||education; teacher training; BBC; technology; ICT; ITE; professional identity
||Education and Language Studies > Education
||14 Sep 2011 15:37
||24 Oct 2012 04:15
|Share this page:
Actions (login may be required)