PDF (Accepted Manuscript)
- Requires a PDF viewer such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader
|DOI (Digital Object Identifier) Link:||http://doi.org/10.1016/0142-694X(93)80016-6|
|Google Scholar:||Look up in Google Scholar|
Case Studies of creative designers and innovators can reveal much useful understanding and insight into:
• the product development process;
• the role of creative thinking in product development, where creative design ideas come from and how they are developed into working products;
• the problems faced by designers and inventors in getting novel products on to the market as commercial innovations.
This paper examines some of these questions through case studies of creative individuals who have invented, designed, developed and introduced innovative products. The individuals and products are:
• James Dyson, an inventor, entrepreneur and product designer, and his innovative designs of wheelbarrow and vacuum cleaner;
• Mark Sanders, a product designer and design consultant, and his novel design of folding bicycle.
In addition brief comparison is made between these cases and similar examples of innovative mechanical products created by other individual inventor/designers.
|Item Type:||Journal Article|
|Copyright Holders:||1993 Elsevier Ltd|
|Extra Information:||NOTICE: this is the author’s version of a work that was accepted for publication in Design Studies. Changes resulting from the publishing process, such as peer review, editing, corrections, structural formatting, and other quality control mechanisms may not be reflected in this document. Changes may have been made to this work since it was submitted for publication. A definitive version was subsequently published in Design Studies, 14(4), Oct 1993, 10.1016/0142-694X(93)80016-6|
|Keywords:||creativity; product design; product development; innovation|
|Academic Unit/Department:||Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) > Engineering and Innovation
Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
|Interdisciplinary Research Centre:||Innovation, Knowledge & Development research centre (IKD)|
|Depositing User:||Robin Roy|
|Date Deposited:||18 Apr 2011 08:29|
|Last Modified:||04 Oct 2016 11:48|
|Share this page:|
Download history for this item
These details should be considered as only a guide to the number of downloads performed manually. Algorithmic methods have been applied in an attempt to remove automated downloads from the displayed statistics but no guarantee can be made as to the accuracy of the figures.