Milne, Andrew; Sethares, William A. and Plamondon, James (2006). X_System. Thumtronics Inc., Austin, Texas, USA.Full text available as:
PDF (Version of Record)
- Requires a PDF viewer such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Google Scholar:||Look up in Google Scholar|
The X_System makes the playing, writing, and learning of music – even when using unconventional tunings – more intuitive, more logical, more expressive, and better sounding.
The X_System allows for:
• different temperaments to be chosen at the flick of a switch;
• tunings to be dynamically altered at the push of a lever;
• the use of a special hexagonal button-field that allows for any given interval or chord always to have the same shape on that button-field;
• consonant chords to have their consonance maximised, whatever the tuning actually chosen;
• radical changes to be made to the timbral character of tones using a minimal number of controls;
• a choice of keyboard mappings, which enable for the balance between number of intervals and octaves to be altered.
|Copyright Holders:||2006 Andrew Milne, 2006 William A. Sethares, 2006 James Plamondon|
|Academic Unit/Department:||Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)|
|Interdisciplinary Research Centre:||Centre for Research in Computing (CRC)|
|Depositing User:||Andrew Milne|
|Date Deposited:||03 Jun 2010 10:24|
|Last Modified:||03 Aug 2016 11:49|
|Share this page:|
Download history for this item
These details should be considered as only a guide to the number of downloads performed manually. Algorithmic methods have been applied in an attempt to remove automated downloads from the displayed statistics but no guarantee can be made as to the accuracy of the figures.