Lillis, Theresa and North, Sarah
(2006). Academic writing.
In: Potter, Stephen ed.
Doing postgraduate research (2nd ed).
Open University series.
London: Sage, pp. 114–151.
Chapter hopes to enable the student to:-
- Understand the role of writing as part of the research process
- Adapt writing style according to purpose and audience
- Know how to revise drafts of a thesis and sharpen their focus and coherence
- Elicit and respond effectively to feedback on writing
- Structure a thesis coherently
- Understand the way in which abstracts and articles are typically structured and be able to write in the same format
- Develop an awareness of the typical features of writing in your own discipline by reading from a range of academic texts
Actions (login may be required)